Friday, August 16, 2013

Flash Fiction Fridays Part 5


So I'm ending this one next week (at least that's the plan) I think it will be a good place to stop and rewrite as a complete story so I can post it back here. Maybe some time dedicated strictly to my blog instead of pieces of story written on my phone at work. Shhh they'll never notice. If I ever lose that thing I'm screwed. Anywho Night Tempest, Elaina M. Roberts, and Tempest Wolf are still entertaining the masses with their FFF. This week's prompt was a visual I liked a lot. I interpreted the picture in a slightly unconventional way.





"Why the hell would you invite him here!" furious, Liam didn’t exactly have a plan but he knew Quinn being served like shrimp at an all you can eat buffet was not part of it. 

“He’s safe here." Richard moved towards him trying to alleviate his concerns. “Besides you wanted Quinn to see the truth here’s your chance.”

"Fuck you!" he spat. “I don’t want him here.”

“Now now boys play nice.” Faye intervened with Quinn following so close he bumped her at every stop. He'd hoped to make things right between them but he was reaching his emotional limit snapping at the source of his angst. “Sorry I’m such a bother.”

"Quinn" With an exasperated sigh Liam called to him. He wanted a calm quiet place to try round two with Quinn but nothing ever went the way he planned. Why should this be any different he thought.

“No I get it Richard, and naked men, and whatever the fuck else you have going on. Please don’t let me interrupt. Maybe I’ll just hang out with Faye instead. Or maybe some of the man candy walking around. Please go back to enjoying your camp lust. Come on Faye!” Storming off, he had no idea where he was headed but his pride wouldn’t let him stop. He wore is anger like a shield of armor venturing into the unknown. Faye looked at the boys not sure what she’d walked into but never one to shy away from a little drama. 

On a shrug "I am the friendly neighborhood ambassador.”  Faye accompanied Quinn into the dim woods towards the voices and flashes of light. 

“Where can I put my stuff?” he fought taking his anger out on her but it fueled everything he did at the moment.

“You can stay at the cabin back by the stream.” Unfazed by his shortness, Faye knew the harsh tone wasn’t about her."Why did Richard invite you here might I ask?" 

"Talk to Liam. He’s been avoiding me for weeks. Making me” poking his own chest harder than he meant to “feel like shit and he’s up here having the time of his life with Richard and orgy men and whatever the fuck else you said!”
“I don’t believe I ever mentioned an orgy...” placing her finger to her lips. “Though it’s not uncommon.”
Realizing her mistake, daggers shot in her direction as she vehemently shook her head. “Though I’m sure that’s not what he has in mind.”
Her curiosity was working overtime to figure out Quinn’s place in all this."Wait are you the boyfriend?" clasping her hands together in excitement.

"Boyfriend?” Quinn tried to mask it with his anger but the blush could be seen even in the cover of darkness. “Liam said that?"
"Mmhm" she nodded blinking sweetly.  

“Still” his voice had lost it’s edge. He never meant to react so harshly but the hurt and anger he’d been holding in bubbled to the surface when he laid eyes on him. They halted at the clearing with people standing around a fire. For second he thought he could make out someone dancing in the middle. 

“Quinn wait a second!” Liam called out catching up to the pair. 
“Shh” Faye hushed. 

In the middle of the fire Liam recognized Francis. His naked body was covered in smudged soot. The fire danced with him following his lead. Flames rolled off his skin leaving it unmarred. Pulling a young woman standing nearby in with him, she yelped at the heat nipping her. Francis wrapped his arms around her moving her body with his as he continued to seduce the fire. Her sweaty skin pressed against him, there was no pain only a pleasant warmth on her flesh. Inside she welcomed the overwhelming burn coursing through her. Flames followed his hands as he ran them down. Gripping her thighs to hoisting her up, she locked her ankles around his waist feeling the beads of heat and moisture tie them together. She arched her back letting her head fall savoring the feel. 

"Boys?" Faye whispered. 

"Gentlemen" Richard tried. 

"Huh" was the only reply they could muster. Just as the young woman in the flames, they were spellbound.

"I think they like it." Richard laughed recalling his own fond memories.

"Do you remember the fire festival in Croatia?" Faye looked to Richard. Her dark eyes creating the perfect background for the flames reflected in them.

"Of course I do. I only wish we had photos back then. We had some amazing times." Rubbing this thumb along the back of her hand, the affection he felt needed an outlet even if only a subtle one. He forced himself to forget how much he loved being with her. He’d learned a lot from his parents but Faye showed him things they’re uptight nature couldn’t make sense of. Feeding the man in him with companionship and passion while acting like children with no thought outside of their moment of want. Loving something as simple as the feel of the grass between his toes was all Faye. Her proximity left him feeling shattered and whole all at once. For years he kept his distance not because of his mother but because of Faye. She possessed the strength and knowledge to rule if she desired but she was a free spirit. She went where the wind took her. That kind of impulsive nature was sexy and exciting when you were part of it but being left in the dust was a feeling Richard couldn’t chance. She cared but not enough to ease his worry. He knew the potential she had to get lost in something or someone else too easily. His heart wouldn't survive it. Welcoming the small act of affection, Faye stood quietly letting her memories take her. 


"Can you do that?" Quinn whispered to Liam. 

"Sorry you won't get a fire dance out of me but I may have a few other tricks." he winked. Grabbing his hand he pulled Quinn back a few feet taking cover behind a tree. 

"Before you say anything I need you to know I’m sorry about how I reacted. A little part of me always believed you but it’s so insane. Everything about this is insane."Quinn waved his hands around. "then you’re here and Richard’s here and I don’t know what this is but I love you and I'm here no matter what and..."
Quinn's ramble was stifled by a tongue teasing his mouth open to accept it. Liam's weight pressed him into the tree but soft lips on his eased the feel of rough bark scratching his back. Liam pulled away breathing heavy from the power beating in his chest. 
“Love you too.” resting his forehead on Quinn’s.
Quinn craved this moment since they parted ways. He didnt want to ruin it by letting Liam know he was worried. What did Liam's abilities mean for them? Nothing he'd researched left him feeling confident yet there was no place he could imagine being other than here feeling Liam’s breath on him. 

Richard noticed the boys departure turning to Faye she was still in deep contemplation. Nudging her he motion for them to do the same. Without hesitation she followed.

“Did you not notice those two take off?” Faye was generally the first to notice everything.

“No are they ok?” looking around she tried to sense anything off in the air. 

“Yeah they’re fine. Spending some much need quality time.” 

A nod his only response. 

“Are you ok?” stopping in front of her he questioned her unusually reserved demeanor. 
Without a word Faye reached down coming away with a fist full of dirt. She cupped her hand in front of his face letting the earth swirl in her palm. A small clear vile formed housing a foggy liquid. Looking closer Richard could make out trees and mountains forming in the liquid base of the round potion vile. His eyes brightened with the realization as he watched the changing scenery of the countries they’d seen together. The pictures formed and melted away leaving a new scene within moments. He opened his mouth to say something but no words came out. Attaching the corked vile to a straw string, she tied it to his neck. 
Acknowledging his appreciation with a sad smile “Better than photos.”


Liam lay next to Quinn starring as he sprawled out on the ground with his feet dangling in the water. 
"What?" not being able to read his face made Quinn uneasy. 

"Wondering if I’m actually here right now or if I’m locked in some padded white room drooling over my jello." 

Scooting over Quinn wrapped his arm around squeezing the reassurance into Liam. “You feel real to me.”

Molding their chests together Liam no longer cared about anything else outside of this moment. He loved it when things were good between them. It wasn’t just love he felt anymore. Quinn was his safe place now. The place he wanted all along. 

 "What's been going on. I want to hear everything." resting his chin on Liam’s chest. 

"I told you the most important parts. Most of it I’m still learning myself. Richard has been teaching me everything. He’s a life saver." 

"I’m sure" Quinn teased narrowing his eyes.  He wasn’t sure what box to put Richard in but he didn't have the overwhelming jealousy he expected hearing the admiration in Liam’s words.

Liam stroked Quinn’s head swearing he heard him purr. "Completely platonic I promise.” 

"Liam? I know we can't pick up where we left off but can we start new? Really let each other in this time. I feel like neither of us did that. Not completely."

He nodded kissing Quinn’s head. "It's my fault..." he started.

"No it's not anyone’s fault but I want to make sure we move forward together. If that's what you want." Quinn never believed their love was one sided nor the blame for the way things turned out. He wanted Liam to understand how serious he was. Good or bad it was theirs to share. 

“Considering I’ve been crazy about you since the moment we met, yea this is what I want too.” the sight of Quinn’s rosey cheeks brought a smile to his face. “Mind if we finish this in the comfort of our own room? The mosiqitoes are eating me alive.” Picking himself up, he took Quinn's arm helping him to stand. 

“I left my stuff in the car” Liam remembered walking up to the tiny home they would share for the duration of their trip.

"Me too. We shouldn’t need it tonight anyway.” Quinn opened the door to a rush of anxiety hitting him in the gut. There were no pictures or anything personal in the space but he recognized this place. Purple flowers decorated the the tables next to a white couch. In the corner sat a white leather chaise blending into the walls. On the far end was a white and gray stone wall that made up the fireplace just as he remembered it. A faux leaf fan spin above them. Walking straight ahead he opened the door to a bedroom. Deep brown wood made up the bed posts next to a mahogany dresser accented with gold trim. He could feel the hands around his wrists again as he turn surveying his surroundings. 

“This is really weird but I dreamt about this place?” he explained fighting the nerves creeping in.

“You dreamt about a cabin?”

“No this cabin.”

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I liked your take on the bottle and am so glad Quinn and Liam are working things out. Onward to next week! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO I love love love this story! I really hope you do write more of this in the future. This is pure awesomeness ;-) Is there a part 6? I couldn't find it on here and I'd love to know how you ended it.

    I"m off to read 'Love's Garden' next.

    Happy Friday and Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's scary dipping your toe into the water but everyone so far has been sooooo kind and helpful.

      Delete